Pawling Hall

Built in 1844, Pawling Hall was named for Isaacher Pawling, one of the founders of the College. Originally known as Paulding Hall, it was erected "for the exclusive accommodation of indigent students preparing for the Christian ministry, all of whom receive[d] tuition gratis." In 1916, a major fire plagued the structure causing it to be rebuilt and modernized. It was primarily a men's dorm up until 1928 when it enjoyed a brief hiatus as a purely administrative structure until 1934. In 1964 it was designated for women and from 1967-71 it housed the Sigma Kappa sorority, after which it was converted to office and classroom space. It currently houses the offices for the Religion, Philosophy, History, and English Departments.