Hinton Field Historical Marker
Written by: Kendall Wills ('14)
Hinton Field, formerly located where the Rec stands now, was the site of Tiger athletics for 103 years, from 1893 to 1996. The field was used for football, track and field, and a variety of other sports. Many games and championships were won on this field, including the College's first homecoming game in 1923. The East Campus Athletic Complex replaced Hinton Field upon its completion in 1996. The last football game ever played on Hinton Field was on November 9, 1996 at 1:30 p.m. against Cumberland College (now University of the Cumberlands) Today, the site is home to intramural sports, a disc golf course, and a putting green.
Namesake of the field, Robert T. Hinton, was a native of Paris, Kentucky who attended Georgetown College from 1894 to 1899. While attending the college as a student, he excelled in athletics and was the captain for both the baseball and football teams. After leaving Georgetown, he continued on to Yale University where he won world championships in gymnastics and acrobatics and was also recognized for his talent in pole vaulting. Hinton returned to Georgetown in 1906 as a coach for all of the College's athletic teams and an educator of biology and leveled the uneven playing field with his own two hands. The following year, the field was dedicated to him. In 1917, he left the country to serve in the war. He returned to Georgetown after serving his duties in 1919 for one year as athletic director. That year he was also named professor of biology, faculty chairman of athletics, and academic dean. He was active in these positions until he died in 1948. His death was commemorated by the lighting of the lampposts along Memorial Drive in honor of veterans lost to war.