Patterson House Historical Marker
Written by: Sarai Kidd ('14)
The Patterson House is a two-story brick home with antebellum features. The home was named for Rev. Dr. W. Morgan Patterson after serving as the College's 22nd president, from 1984 to 1991. Georgetown was not the only place that Reverend Patterson served. He also taught at four other Baptist ministries. His service to the community earned him many rewards, most notably the Distinguished Service Award for contributions to Baptist history which was given by the historical commission of the Southern Baptist Convention.
The Patterson house is the campus building that is most recognizably tied to Rev. Dr. Patterson; however he left his stamp on many other places on campus. Patterson purchased fifty-two acres and envisioned "East Campus" which would later house students and become the hub of Georgetown Athletics (with offices for coaches and the Sports Information Office). Throughout the early 2000s, the East Campus Athletic Complex was home to the Cincinnati Bengals training camp (until 2012). In addition to establishing this extension of the campus proper, Patterson also restored and improved Highbaugh Hall, Pawling Hall, The Cralle Student Center, and Anderson Hall.
The Patterson House is currently used as the College's Office of Admission and is the beginning of any prospective student's campus visit.
In terms of the building's history, the Rankin House dates to 1827 when it served as a private residence of Emily Hewitt, a teacher who may have also used the property as a schoolhouse. One of the oldest structures in Scott County, the Rankin House was expanded in the 1850s and renovated during the 1970s. Before its purchase by the College in 1988, the House was known as the Rankin-Roberts House, the Rankin House, and the Hewitt House, after previous owners of the structures.