Written by: Kendall Wills ('14)The President's House, also known as the Graves House, is located on Georgetown's Main Street Historic District, near to the College proper and adjacent to Patterson and Anderson Hall. The house was built in 1859 by Harvey C. Graves, a trustee at Georgetown College. The land where the house stands was purchased by Mr. Graves from the Georgetown Board of Education. He resided in the house from its completion in 1859 until 1912. The house then became the Elks lodge until 1916, when it was purchased and used as a private residence until 1958. From 1958-1961, the house was the site of an antiques show. In 1961, the house was purchased by the College where it was used to house the College's president. In 1965, Robert L. Mills became the first college president to live in the Graves House. However, in a document now located in the College's archives, Mills writes that the first Georgetown College president to occupy the home (Mills himself) moved into the house in June of 1962 after eight months of renovations. Contradicting other findings regarding the Graves House, the document states that the house was constructed between the years of 1860 and 1862 (rather than 1859 stated above).